Hey Fellow travellers!
Ive just got back from a recent trip up to Joburg (I live in Knysna) and it was quite an experience flying again!
The last flight I took was to Mauritius in November 2019 and since then have not flown anywhere. I felt like I was a first time traveller, a bit jittery and nearly left my wallet through the security scanner! The flight however went well and it was really good to be up in the clouds again. The airport at OR Tambo was still fairly quiet however on my return it was packed most likely due to the systems being down. Overall it just felt good to be in and amongst travellers again watching an industry that has been decimated start to come alive slowly but surely! Domestic departures and arrivals both inside and outside the airport were busier than international but as things start to open up I am sure will start to change.
Recent updates this last week include:
- SA Airlink is trialling a new app that allows travellers to provide accurate information regarding their COVID-19 status as well as any entrance requirements to the country they are visiting.
- If you were battling to find a seat to Mauritius this December Holidays, fear not as SAA has jumped on board as from the 21st November with flights on a Wednesday and Sunday. BA Comair(Kulula) will be flying on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and Flysafair will launch their flights on the 11th December on a Tuesday and Saturday.
- Cruising is one of the areas of growth within travel and tourism and it was great to hear that Princess Cruises will start to load up additional ships in the US from 2022. All travellers looking at doing any type of cruising around the world will need to be vaccinated.
- Australia has been a bit slow out the starting blocks when looking at their return to travel however it was warmly received when we heard that flights on Quantas will be flying again from the 5th January. They will operate 3 flights a week from Sydney to Joburg.
- Finally, as the Garden route once again becomes a hot destination for International travellers as the borders open, SA Airlink will resume flights to George from the 1st November in the morning and late afternoon.
That’s not for this week but please let us know if there is anything you would like us to specifically cover in these weekly blogs? You can mail your suggestions to email@example.com.
Keep safe and healthy and have a great week!
Giles opened up Checkout Travel (Club Travel Fourways in those days) in 2003. He has travelled around the world, worked and operated in different facets of the travel industry and is passionate about researching and implementing new products and technologies. He completed his MBA in 2020 and is currently studying for an MA in Mindfulness. He is an avid cyclist, loves camping with his family and this adventure junkie’s best travel destination is South-East Asia. The next tick on his bucket list is to complete a journey across Bolivia’s remarkable salt flats. Giles heads up the sales and marketing of Checkout Travel.
Checkout our Jetsetter club
If you love travelling as much as we do, we know that you will love being part of our Jetsetter club. Being a Jetsetter means you get upfront discounts and insider tips on excursions and activities only known by the locals. From the moment you start dreaming about your journey until you arrive back home, you will have access to our travel experts who can answer all your burning travel questions.
Let our experienced team help create your perfect trip
Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch with us, we’d love to help you out.