Weekly travel update- 16 November
Welcome to this weeks travel update!
We begin this weeks news with the following:
- The Netherlands has placed South Africa on to their orange list. This means that travel should only be for “necessary” purposes and they have banned all non-vaccinated people from entering the country for now.
- Australia has extended its quarantine-free travel bubble to Singapore. Sop far it is just Singapore and New Zealand that are allowed to travel to the country without undergoing any form of quarantine.
- New Zealand has announced that from the 14 th November they will be reducing their quarantine process to 7 days and eventually whittling this down to home quarantine sometime next year after they achieve an optimistic 90% vaccinated rate.
- South African’s can now travel to Turkey if they have been vaccinated and all they need is a clear PCR test 72 hours before they leave.
- Austria’s recent surge of infections has forced the government to place a 10 day lock down on all unvaccinated people. This begs the question as to whether the rest of Europe will follow suit as they head into winter?
- Cambodia has finally opened its border to vaccinated travellers with a 72 hour PCR test done before they leave. Slowly but surely SE Asia is opening up!
Looking at the latest headlines, a couple of things come to mind. It will be really interesting to see whether countries like Australia and New Zealand which have had pretty severe lockdowns was the way to go or whether countries like the UK, US and many other Western nations had a more realistic way of dealing with COVID-19. Secondly, what will happen to both the UK and Europe as they enter winter and how will they deal with unvaccinated people such as Austria?
It seems as one part of the world opens up another has to shut down and visa versa. Hopefully this craziness can come to an end but until then we need to keep moving forward.
Keep safe, keep healthy and have a great week ahead!
Giles opened up Checkout Travel (Club Travel Fourways in those days) in 2003. He has travelled around the world, worked and operated in different facets of the travel industry and is passionate about researching and implementing new products and technologies. He completed his MBA in 2020 and is currently studying for an MA in Mindfulness. He is an avid cyclist, loves camping with his family and this adventure junkie’s best travel destination is South-East Asia. The next tick on his bucket list is to complete a journey across Bolivia’s remarkable salt flats. Giles heads up the sales and marketing of Checkout Travel.
Checkout our Jetsetter club
If you love travelling as much as we do, we know that you will love being part of our Jetsetter club. Being a Jetsetter means you get upfront discounts and insider tips on excursions and activities only known by the locals. From the moment you start dreaming about your journey until you arrive back home, you will have access to our travel experts who can answer all your burning travel questions.
Let our experienced team help create your perfect trip
Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch with us, we’d love to help you out.